Christopher J. Uyhelji was born in South Bend and has spent most of his life in northern Indiana. Chris is an associate attorney with Gardner & Rans, P.C. His practice focuses on personal injury litigation, insurance defense and coverage, business and construction litigation, and appeals. At Gardner & Rans, Chris routinely prepares various pleadings, motions, written discovery, dispositive motions, pretrial and trial briefs, and appellate motions and briefs in a wide range of legal actions. He has conducted and defended numerous depositions and often advocates for clients in legal actions based on serious accidents, contractual disputes, and defective products.
Chris also advises insurance companies and businesses on complex risk transfer issues arising out of indemnity agreements, agreements to insure, additional insured endorsements, and insurance coverage exclusions and exceptions to exclusions. This includes drafting indemnity agreements and agreements to insure, litigating breach of contract claims, issuing coverage opinions, and litigating declaratory judgment actions.
He is admitted to practice law in the State of Indiana, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. He is a member of the St. Joseph County Bar Association and the Indiana State Bar Association. Before joining Gardner & Rans, Chris received his undergraduate degree in Public Affairs from Indiana University and his law degree from Indiana University Maurer School of Law.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Property and Casualty Insurance Defense
- Insurance Coverage, Insurance Disputes, and Bad Faith
- Construction Law and Litigation
- Business Law and Litigation
- Civil Litigation and Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana
- Indiana University
- Major: Public Affairs
- Walters v. Austin, 968 N.E.2d 233 (Ind. Ct. App. 2012)
- Bhd. Mut. Ins. Co. v. Michiana Contracting, Inc., 971 N.E.2d 127 (Ind. Ct. App. 2012)
- Hathaway v. Cintas Corporate Servs., Inc., 2012 WL 4498868 (N.D. Ind. 2012)
- Hathaway v. Cintas Corporate Servs., Inc., 903 F. Supp. 2d 669 (N.D. Ind. 2012)
- Blasius v. Angel Auto., Inc. , 2015 WL 926018 (N.D. Ind. 2015)
- Bankers Standard Ins. Co. v. Coplen Constr., Inc., 2016 WL 1043718 (N.D. Ind. 2016)