A founding partner of Gardner & Rans P.C., Martin J. Gardner was born in Lawrenceburg, Indiana in 1961, and was admitted to the Indiana bar in 1987. A longstanding resident of northern Indiana, Mr. Gardner has nearly 30 years of experience in litigation representing businesses, governmental entities, and individuals in a wide variety of matters including personal injury claims, construction claims and disputes, motor vehicle liability, traumatic brain injury, spinal injury, premise liability, fraud, arson, civil rights violation, products liability, wrongful death, insurance coverage disputes, and motor carrier claims and disputes. He is admitted to practice before the United States District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, and the United States Court of Appeals, for the Seventh Circuit. Mr. Gardner has been rated “AV” by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which is the highest rating awarded by that organization.
For nearly 20 years, Mr. Gardner has also served as a certified mediator and arbitrator, and is frequently selected to act as mediator or arbitrator by attorneys throughout Northern Indiana, Indianapolis, and Chicago to assist parties in resolving their disputes.
Graduating from Franklin College with a degree in Business Administration in 1984, Mr. Gardner obtained his Juris Doctor Degree in 1987 from Indiana University Indianapolis. He is a member of Phi Alpha Delta Fraternity, Saint Joseph County Bar Association, The Indiana State Bar, and the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Gardner has served on the Board of Directors of the LaSalle Council of the Boy Scouts of America for over 25 years. He also served for many years as a coach for soccer and basketball in programs administered by the Y.M.C.A., M.S.A., Upward Basketball league, and A.A.U. at Penn High School.
Mr. Gardner has been certified by the State of Indiana since 1996 as a Mediator.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Product Liability
- Personal Injury
- Trial Practice
- Appellate Practice
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- J.D. - 1987
- Franklin College, Franklin, Indiana
- B.A. - 1984
- Blevins v. Town of Mentone, 2012 WL 6026476 (N.D. Ind. 2012)
- Middleton v. Univ. of Notre Dame, 2007 WL 1424524 (N.D. Ind. 2007)
- National Indem. Co. v. Big Rock Transp., Inc., 2007 WL 5842047 (N.D. Ind. 2007)
- White v. Western Diversified Ins. Co., 524 N.E.2d 1304 (Ind. Ct. App. 1988)
- Wallis v. Marshall County Com’rs, 546 N.E.2d 843 (Ind. 1989)
- Houston v. Wal-Mart Store #1978, 2007 WL 1021868 (N.D. Ind. 2007)
- Bankers Standard Ins. Co. v. Heisler, 2015 WL 4758662 (N.D. Ind. 2015)
- Hathaway v. Cintas Corporate Services, Inc., 2012 WL 4498868 (N.D. Ind. 2012)
- Sanders v. Town of Porter Police Dept., 2007 WL 4299569 (N.D. Ind. 2007)
- Sanders v. Town of Porter Police Dept., 2006 WL 2457251 (N.D. Ind. 2006)
- Pfenning v. Clarkson, 2007 WL 188980 (N.D. Ind. 2007)
- Sanders v. Town of Burns Harbor Police Dept., 2006 WL 508081 (N.D. Ind. 2006)
- Farmers Ins. Exchange v. Smith, 757 N.E.2d 145 (Ind. Ct. App. 2001)
- Bricker v. General Industries Partners, 861 N.E.2d 388 (Ind. Ct. App. 2007)
Honors and Awards
- “A-V” Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell