Your ability to operate a vehicle provides unparalleled freedom and flexibility to make traveling from place to place easy and convenient. However, it is important to remember that driving can be risky if you are involved in certain behaviors behind the wheel. At Gardner & Rans P.C., we have helped many Indiana residents deal with the complications of car accidents.
Your involvement in a car accident could stem from a variety of factors including mechanical failure, inclement weather and distraction. One of the most dangerous things you can do while driving is using your phone. Whether you are texting, calling or checking an address, manipulating your device means your attention is diverted away from the road. This behavior, no matter how brief, can compromise your safety as well as that of your passengers and other drivers.
According to American Family Insurance, your risk of being involved in a serious car accident is increased by a whopping 23 percent when you choose to text and drive. There are several good habits that you can form and maintain in your efforts to avoid texting and driving. These include the following:
- Utilize electronic apps designed to discourage device manipulation while driving.
- Ask you friend or family member who is driving with you to respond to important texts or messages.
- Reduce the temptation to peek at your phone by putting it somewhere where you cannot see it.
- Consider reducing the volume of your notifications or turn the sound off altogether to reduce the urge to check your phone each time you hear it go off.
- Be aware of your behavior when you have other passengers in the car. Your efforts to set a good example of not texting and driving can help encourage other people to do the same.
These tips are simple ways that you can be proactive about your safety and the safety of others while you are driving. For more information about car accidents related to distracted driving, visit our web page.