Posted: January 2, 2020

People inspecting cars after accident Few feelings can be more gutting than learning that the driver who just hit you doesn't have car insurance. When your vehicle is damaged, and you and your passengers are injured, the news that the other motorist is uninsured can be yet another burden during a difficult time.

At Gardner & Rans, P.C., our car accident attorneys know Indiana's insurance laws inside and out. We'll combine this knowledge with our relentlessness as litigators to help you maximize your recoverable compensation. This blog breaks down Indiana's car insurance laws and explains how we can help make you financially whole after an accident with an uninsured motorist.

Car Insurance Laws in Indiana

In Indiana, drivers are required to carry car insurance at the following minimums:

  • Up to $25,000 liability per person for bodily injury or death
  • Up to $50,000 liability for total bodily injuries or deaths
  • Up to $25,000 liability for property damage

The penalties for failing to have at least this level of insurance in Indiana are severe. They include:

  • First offense: 90-day drivers' license suspension and 3 years with an SR-22 certificate as a "high-risk" motorist
  • Second offense: $500 fine, 1-year license suspension, and 3 years with an SR-22
  • Third offense: $1,000 fine, 1-year license suspension, and 5 years with an SR-22

Indiana also mandates that drivers carry uninsured motorist coverage, but people are allowed to decline this coverage in writing. Many people may feel tempted to do this to save money on their car insurance payments. It may seem like you'll never have to worry about being hit by an uninsured motorist.Indiana car insurance minimums

However, while many Indiana drivers would never hit the road without insurance, some motorists do it day after day. You never know what's going to happen on the roads, and you have no way to tell if another driver has insurance or not. Ensuring that your insurance policy covers uninsured motorists can protect you financially from these scenarios.

What to Do After an Accident With an Uninsured Driver

Even if you carry uninsured motorist coverage, you may need additional help to recover adequate compensation for your injuries. That's where the experienced, dedicated car accident attorneys at Gardner & Rans, P.C. come in.

When you come to us for help after being in a car accident with an uninsured motorist, there are several options we can pursue to help you recover compensation, including:

  • Maximizing compensation from your insurance provider: Even your own insurance company is not on your side. It will do everything it can to limit the amount of money it has to pay for your injuries. Our lawyers have decades of experience arguing against insurance companies, and we know all the tricks they will use. We will do everything in our power to ensure they pay you what you deserve.
  • Evaluating a potential civil lawsuit: We will investigate whether the negligent, lawbreaking driver has personal assets worth pursuing in a civil suit. We will also look into whether a third party should be held liable, such as a bar or restaurant that served a motorist too much alcohol before they hit your car while drunk.

Contact Our South Bend Car Accident Lawyers Today

At Gardner & Rans, P.C., we are committed to the fight for justice. If you or a loved one were injured by an irresponsible driver, we will help you recover the compensation you deserve.

We serve South Bend, Mishawaka, Granger, Elkhart, La Porte, and nearby areas of Indiana. Call (574) 233-6035 today to schedule a consultation.